Small business valuation resources
We have compiled links to resources on business valuation and planning a business sale or purchase that you may find useful. Check back often, as we update this section regularly with new and valuable items.
Getting Professional Help
If you need professional help with your business valuation, consider consulting a skilled appraiser. One resource is the members of the American Society of Appraisers (ASA).
You may also wish to ask your accountant or attorney for a suitable referral.
- A chapter of the Institute whose CPA members are involved in business valuation.
- Search for a business appraiser by specialty and location.
- The leading professional business appraisal organization in Canada. Includes member listings.
- Includes member directory.
- Sponsors the business valuation special interest group.
- Publishes the annual Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP).
- Publishes financial accounting and reporting standards. Statements SFAS 141 (Business Combinations) and SFAS 142 (Goodwill and Other Intangible Assets) are important for business valuation.
- Publishes international financial reporting standards.
- Publishes the International Valuation Standards affecting valuation of real property and businesses.
- Specifies the standard of performing valuation of businesses, intangible assets and securities.
- Published by the International Valuation Standards Council. Accepted as national valuation standards in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. Made part of the national valuation standards in the UK and Ireland.
- Annual compilation of requirements for professional business appraisals. Standard 9 describes the business valuation process. Standard 10 outlines business appraisal reporting.
- A comprehensive industry classification standard for the financial community.
- A newer alternative to the venerable SIC system.
- Unique codes for all types of businesses.
- A wide range of investor information, market analysis tools and services
- A leading international organization for business intermediaries. Check out their business broker directory.
- SBA 7(a) business loans to purchase existing businesses.
- Company look up and industry data.
- Economic analysis, industry statistics data and forecasting information.
- Business merger and acquisition activity filings in EDGAR database maintained by the US Securities and Exchange Commission. Includes data on acquisitions of private firms by public companies.
- US Department of Commerce service collecting national and regional economic statistics.
- US Department of Labor information on employment, compensation, and industry outlook data.
- Key demographic, economic, and housing data.
- The service publishes revenue rulings such as Ruling 59-60 that provide important guidelines for business valuation.
- Public company filings. Maintains the EDGAR database of public company filings, including filings on tender offers, mergers and acquisitions of private companies.
- The Canadian national agency which compiles data on business, economy, and social conditions.
- The Australian government agency collecting national demographic and economic data.
- The Australian government body enforcing the corporation and financial markets regulation on behalf of consumers, investors and creditors.